Monday, November 20, 2006

Short handed hockey and the Texas Roadshack

It's deer hunting time in Wisconsin and that left us with only 8 guys (of 14) for hockey last night, playing against a team equally short handed but loaded with their best players. It was basically run and shoot hockey with end to end rushes the entire game. I've never been that tired from playing defense before, it was wild. We ended up winning 8-5 with 4 3rd period goals, pretty fun.



Saturday night was couples league bowling. I did ok, missed a few spares though. Shot 662 (235, 192, 233). Funniest thing was Grinder and their team, the Pinguins (you know penguins but with "pin" in it instead). They made themselves bowling shirts with little penguins shaped like pins and I think they were wearing boxing gloves, not sure what that meant. Anyway, the whole team bowled terribly the first game but Grinder took the prize with a whopping 113 game. Here's a guy with a 185 or so average and he throws 6 splits and misses a couple spares and has just an awful, awful game. Of course, I took the opportunity to laugh at him as much as I could (that's how I roll).

Next thing you know he's got a string of strikes going but I can't really tell what he's doing since he's 6 lanes down. He comes over after the 2nd game and says "I have high game" and I was kind of like "huh, what?" He says 289, which somehow translates to 129 in my mind so he has to say it about 6 times before it dawns on me that he had a 289 game. Spared the first and struck 2-11 before leaving a 9 on the last ball. Pretty good! Not a 300 or anything but still.... :)

He finishes out with a 253 or something for 655. Good save, but sheesh, a 160 the first game and he has 700. I put down his scores for the paper but for some reason they didn't report them. Bummer.



After bowling we decided to try out the new Texas Roadhouse restaurant that's been open for about a month. I called ahead for a table and we got right in around 8:45. That was about the only thing that went right.

To start, they ran out of silverware so we didn't get any when we were seated. Apparently this will lead to a large amount of confusion for the waitresses since they are not trained to bring you any. Steerike one.

We order and 3 of us get a salad. Cdubya orders filet medallions. The waitress comes back a few minutes later and states that they are out of the medallions. So, she orders the filet instead. Steerike two.

Then they bring out my salad, but no one elses, and we still have no silverware. We remind the waitress for the 4th time about this as I just stare at my salad. 5 minutes later the other salads come out. The waitress can't remember who had which and screws that up. We still have no silverware. Steerike three.

Finally, someone else brings us silverware and then our waitress does too so we have double. Our food finally arrives, again she gives everyone the wrong food and they screw up Cdubya's mashed potatoes but putting a bunch of stuff on it after she said she didn't want it. Steerike four.

We start to eat, Cdubya realizes it is not the filet but a tough piece of sirloin with whip marks on it. At this point the waitress comes back and says "I think I messed up your order." We all agree. She takes it away and says the filet will be right out. It shows up about the time we're all finishing up. Steerike five.

I had the filet as well and it was about as bad a piece of steak as I've ever had. No taste, thin, bland, pathetic. Cdubya eats about 3 bites and gives up. They took it off the bill, thank god. Oh, then the kicker. It was $18.95. I gave her a $20. She gave me $1.06 back. $1.06? What the hell, is math that hard? I left it for her tip. Steerike six.

One more batter and I would have struck out the side.

We won't be back.

4 comments:

D said...

Damn. You beat me to my own joke. Ummm... how about:

Maybe they should rename it the Nolan Ryan Roadhouse for all the strike outs?

Damn. Not as good. Oh well...

Rod said...

BTW - by the 6th frame our TEAM had two (2) marks and they were from the Jenny and DJ in the first frame LOL.

Rod said...

Concerning Texas Steakhouse. We figured we would wait until the excitement is over and they learn how to do the simple things.

I still say the BEST place in madison for a filet is Porta Bella AND you get the Porta salad WITH silverware.

adubya said...

Have you been to the new Paisans yet? It's awesome. Same great food, way more room.
We've been twice.

As for steak, Tornado Room baby.