Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Fire! Fire!

Wow, what a wild last 5 days...

Let's just get this fire business out of the way first.

For Thanksgiving we cooked a 23 lb turkey in a flimsy aluminum roaster pan. When it came time to take it out I failed to notice that it was full to the top with turkey juices. And being a flimsy ass pan it buckled when I went to take it out spilling juice/grease all over the oven, floor, counter, cabinets, etc. What a freakin' mess. Took me forever to clean up the floor so it wasn't a skating rink.

Fast forward to Sunday. Having forgotten to clean out the bottom of the oven of all the turkey juice, Cdubya decided to cook up some jalepano poppers. After a bout of smoke in the house I thought we should run the self cleaner. Ok, for those playing at home, this is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA. With the extreme temperatures created by the cleaning mode the turkey grease ignited! With smoke filling the house I grabbed the fire extinguisher and was about to open the door when I realized that would be a very bad idea. Cdubya was out the back door yelling for me to call the fire department.

I dialed 911 and, since it was a Sunday with nothing going on and no Packer game, we had 4 squad cars at the house within a minute. Followed closely by a fire truck, then another 10 minutes later.

I had shut off the breaker and the fire went out but the oven was still full of smoke. The firefighters smartly decided they would carry the oven outside and open it there so the house wouldn't be filled with even more smoke. Everything turned out fine but of course nosey neighbors everywhere wondering who was dying, etc.

I went out and bought a new stove yesterday, we were looking to upgrade at some point anyway, this just rushed it a little. Here's a picture of the oven afterwards.




Backing up a bit, Friday went golfing and played ok. Shot 89 (45/44) but should have been better. Parred 5 holes on the back including 4 in a row, going into the 17th hole (480 yard par 5) and I bombed my drive 300 yards and was just in the rough, about 180 out, downhill. I decided to hit 5 iron because of the rough but should have hit a 6. I one hopped over the green onto a mound where I proceeded to flub 2 chips before 3 putting for a 7. Oh well, it was November 24th after all.

Saturday was my 2nd poker party. 7 guys, played from 5pm till almost 1am. I ended up losing $20. Would have won if we hadn't played any lowball games. Those screwed me over and over. I did have a royal flush in Omaha, my new favorite game.

Sunday morning I had to get up early to bowl in a charity 9-pin tap tournament at 9am. Ended up only missing twice, getting an 8 in the 4th frame of game 1 and another 8 in the 5th frame of game 3. Had 24 strikes in a row up to that point. Ended up shooting 278, 300, 264 for 842. Didn't matter, it was all for charity, scores didn't matter. It was to raise money for a long time bowler who has 2 brain tumors and only was given a couple weeks to live.

After bowling I noticed I had quite a sore throat that wasn't going away. It seemed to get worse as the day went on, then we had the big fire thing and after that was done I had to go to hockey. It was a pretty good game as we played the number 1 team pretty evenly until the 3rd period when they got 2 lucky bounces off our skates into the goal and then scored on a 3 on 2 that was way offside and not called. Ended up losing 6-3.

I got up Monday morning and my sore throat was even worse and now coughing. I took the day off to rest but had to go buy a new stove too. Got one from the Brothers Main and took it home and hooked it up that afternoon with Dr. Mike's help getting it into the house.

I'm home sick again today, trying to do some work. Since I'm in a small closet with 7 other guys I didn't think it would be good to go in and make them all sick.

As for the Packers/Seahawks game last night... I'm still pissed about that roughing the passer call on Chris Jenkins. That was a horrible call and may have cost them the game as it was 3rd down and the Packers would have gotten the ball back but instead Seattle got a first down and eventually scored to give them a 10 point lead.

Oh well, they didn't really deserve to win anyway since they couldn't stop Shawn Alexander at all. Weird since they usually have a good run defense and a poor pass defense.

Ok, that's plenty for now.
Later

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a more exciting Thanksgiving weekend than I did. I guess I should have saved some of our turkey grease for a fire starter. I'll do that next year, thanks for the tip, but I'll use it to start a bonfire not a house fire. :)

That was totally a roughing the passer, it was a great call! (if you are a Seahawk fan) Actually, yes it was a BS call. I still think the Hawks Defense would have held the Packers from scoring but it might have come down to a field goal. Pretty sloppy game, a lot of dropped passes but I guess you can blame the weather for that.

Rod said...

Not THAT was funny!! I love fire stories and they really liven up a blog - you should have more!

adubya said...

I'll post after I start a small brush fire next to your house...