Thursday, June 12, 2008

So called Professionals

You know what really irks me about some "professional" baseball players?

No, not the millions of dollars they make for playing a game.

No, not the "world owes me something" attitudes.

It's the inability of these people to do the most basic things that we learn how to do in little league. I'm talking about fundamentals like bunting or throwing a ball to a base.

Twice on Tuesday night Brewer pitchers could successfully throw a baseball to first base. These are guys that throw 90+ mph pitches to exact spots 60' away but you give them a bunt where they need to make a 40' throw to first base and they will bounce it half way there. How is this possible? I pitched for over 20 years in a variety of leagues and I cannot recall ever having an issue with throwing a ball to a base.

Do they forget how to throw off flat ground? Do they need to run back to the mound first? I mean I've seen them spin on the mound and throw hard to a base to pick off a runner and they're right on the money. But give them 15 minutes to get a nice easy throw to first on a sacrifice bunt and they one hop it into right field.

On Tuesday Julian Taveras did this in a 2-1 game and ended up giving up 4 runs to lose any chance at winning the game. I came unhinged, screaming at the television.

We need to send these so-called professionals back to little league so the 9 year olds can show them how to do it.



Well, I'm sure you've all heard about the heavy rains we've had which have caused massive flooding (and one lake being emptied). I thought for sure golf league would be water logged out last night but surprisingly Door Creek dried up enough for us to play and I was amazed at how well the course was considering the 8" of rain we had just a few days earlier.

Of course, today we've had another batch of big storms rolling through. It's supposed to end tonight. I have a tournament to play in on Saturday, I sure hope the water drains.

That's it for now, stay dry!

No comments: